The Day the Earth Spoke — 8 October 2005
Some moments don’t just stay in memory — they shape who we become.
For me, that moment was 8 October 2005.
Our school assembly had just finished, and we were back in class.
Mian Khanudin Sahb (Late) was teaching us Qur’an, and the Qur’an lay open on the table.
A day earlier, we had been reciting Surah Al‑Zilzal…
and the next day, we felt its meaning unfold in reality.
The benches began to shake.
Fans trembled above us.
Shelves rattled against the walls.
Children screamed and ran toward the playground,
and teachers struggled to control the chaos.
In the middle of that panic, I remember myself and one friend
trying to gather the Qur’an from the shaking benches.
That moment in my 7th class…
I can never forget it.
It was the first time I felt Surah Al‑Zilzal.
The first time I understood what an earthquake truly is.
The first time nature spoke louder than words.
School was closed immediately by government orders.
When we reached home, the TV was filled with scenes that changed Pakistan forever —
crying families, collapsed walls, fallen roofs,
Kashmir, Abbottabad, Mansehra…
and the heartbreaking images of Margalla Towers in Islamabad.
That day planted a question inside me:
“Why did these structures fail? Why were people not protected?”
And maybe that was the day my engineering journey truly began.
Years later, I found myself working exactly in those regions —
designing low‑cost seismic‑resistant housing for the hilly areas devastated in 2005.
I designed many high‑rise commercial buildings in Islamabad,
following BCP Seismic Provisions 2007 and UBC‑97.
I worked on projects in Zone 2B, like Margalla Tower’s region,
and then took on one of the most challenging assignments in Zone 4 — Balakot.
When I checked its seismic provisions in ETABS,
I felt a deep satisfaction —
as if I had honored the memory of that day.
With time, I became part of seismic panels,
discussed international earthquake‑resistant systems,
and formally joined the ICE UK — Society of Earthquake & Civil Engineering Dynamics.
But even today, when I look back…
everything traces back to one moment —
8 October 2005.
The day I first understood the earth’s language.
The day that shaped my purpose.

Comments
Post a Comment